• 1987, Dr. Kathleen Hudson founded the non-profit Texas Heritage Music Foundation (THMF) to address the principal belief that music and storytelling can bring together a culturally and ethnically diverse community. THMF began producing free community programs such as the annual Jimmie Rodgers Jubilee and monthly Coffeehouse concerts at Schreiner University. Thanks to donations from the private sector and from local foundations, these programs have grown every year.
• 1993 - The Wayne Kennemer Scholarship Fund was established.
• 1996 - Merle Haggard performed at Kennemer Scholarship fundraiser.
• 1997 - The Jimmie Rodgers Jubilee was renamed Texas Heritage Living History Day (LHD).
Willie Nelson and Little Joe y la Familia performed at Kennemer Scholarship fundraiser.
• 2000 - THMF began offering subsidized transportation grants to area schools who could not afford the travel expenses to attend the LHD event through its Transportation Assistance Grant (TAG) Program. Funded by a grant from the Cailloux Foundation in Kerrville.
• 2001 - Texas Heritage Living History Day expanded to three days, renamed Texas Heritage Living History Weekend (LHW). THMF began an educational outreach program, The Bard Project, which placed LHW performers in schools throughout central and south Texas to conduct LHW programming. This project was funded by a grant from the Hal and Charlie Peterson Foundation.
• 2004 - THMF presented a Summer Arts Program to provide Kerr County at-risk youth with opportunities to develop creativity, learn the tools of communication, and create multiple solutions to problems. Thirty-two youths participated in classes involving literature and composition, dance, art, and music. The program was funded by a grant from the Webber Foundation.
• 2004 - Before settling into its permanent offices on Schreiner University campus in July, THMF had relied on the generous support of the Kerrville-area business community for office space. In June 1992, the foundation received a grant from the Turner Foundation to open an office and museum at the Inn of the Hills River Resort and Conference Center. In 1994, River Hills Mall provided office space to THMF, and then Southern Investments donated office space in 1995. From 1996 to early 2004, 5K Laser Products, Inc. donated office space and utilities.
• 2008 - THMF-executive produced 10-part radio documentary series, Whole Lotta Shakin’, which received 2007 George Foster Peabody Award for Excellence in Electronic Media (Radio).
• 2010 - the Texas Heritage Living History Weekend was renamed Texas Heritage Music Day (HMD).
• 2012 - Silver Jubilee, expanded the Bard Project into San Antonio with Elizabeth Huth Coates grant. Silver Jubilee songwriting workshop with Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines, Silver Jubilee house concert with Eric Taylor. Expanded Texas Heritage Music Days including concert with Terri and Lloyd. A Schreiner Dean’s grant funded a Schreiner student intern to work at THMF.
• 2013 - The Music Connection was started. Both community and Peterson Foundation grants made this possible.
Executive Director - Kathleen Hudson
Office Manager - Nicole Wilkins
Staff, Interns, and Volunteers
Alyssa Cole - social media and design intern
Taryn Goben - research and HMD project intern
Stephen Sumrall-Orsak - High school senior and Jimmie Rodgers research intern
Julie Sentell is a volunteer who works in the office assisting Kathleen and is responsible for bookkeeping for THMF.
Mack Barham is our photographer. We would like to thank Mack for all the wonderful photographs he has taken over the years.
Chumbe Salinas is our videographer. We would like to thank Chumbe for all the work he's done for us.
THMF is always looking for new volunteers, interns, and more.
Join our team today!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Retired Social Worker
111 Walnut Rd.
Fredericksburg TX 78624
473 Orchard Park
Medina TX 78055
General Manager, Andreucci Winery
Fredericksburg TX 78624
1303 Vesper Lane
Kerrville, TX 78028
Hill Country Design Build
P. O. Box 445
Johnson City TX 78636
Musician/Director Silver Sage Senior Center
803 Buck Creek Dr.
Bandera, Texas 78003
1205 Park ST.
Kerrville, TX 78028-5753
Chairman of Music Dept
PO Box 292132
Kerrville, Texas 78029
Kathleen A. Hudson, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Paula Reynolds Keith Asbury Bruce Tinch Boone Holding Tom Frost
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com